Skip to main content

Best Practice Guide: Configuration Migration

• 20 March 2024
  • 6 replies
Best Practice Guide: Configuration Migration

Hello Benchling Community!

Excited to share some handy tips on making the most out of the Configuration Migration tool in Benchling! 🛠️

We'll walk you through the ins and outs, from what it is and what you can migrate, to some key considerations before you hit that migration button. 

Benchling Customer Success Team has also chipped in with some top-notch best practices to help you manage your Configuration Migration like a pro! 😎 You'll find the full guide attached below for your convenience.

Here's a sneak peek at what's inside:
- What exactly is Configuration Migration?
- Wondering what can actually be migrated? We've got you covered!
- Know before your Migration!
- Tips for the long-term maintenance of your tenants.
- Best practices galore for managing your Config Migration!
- And don't worry, we've got your back with some troubleshooting tips too 🔧.

So, grab a cuppa ☕️, dive in, and let's level up your Configuration Migration game together! 🚀

Extra points if you pitch in your thoughts in the comments section 👀!!

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Rachelle Jeon 

Thanks for publishing this. I was an early adopter of the config migration tool and it’s been great so far. A much needed capability. So far, I’ve used it mostly in one direction: from Sandbox to Preview to Prod. 

However our Sandbox has a lot of trial and error config elements that are not in Prod. Would the config migration tool be able to help clean up Sandbox and basically make it identical to Prod? I understand the config migration tool does not delete or archive elements. What would be the best way to not only copy Prod elements to SB, but also archive old elements in SB?

Thanks for any advice

Gary

Hi @Rachelle Jeon , how do we get access to the Config Migration tool?

Userlevel 2

Hi @adam.murray !! We are releasing Config Migration Tool in batches - that being said, please reach out to your Account Executive or CSM to see where you are in line!

Userlevel 2

@gwoo Hmmm have you maybe considered creating a new Org under your test tenant? I’d be interested to know if you can create a new Org in your test tenant and perform a config migration from Prod > New Test tenant Org 👀!
Let me know how that goes!

Thank you for this tool. It is very much needed. I have resolved all errors in validating the schema to get our test tenant caught up to our production except for several that say:

Unable to update SQL Identifier on field "<field name 1>" from class_type to <field name 2> - user requires permissions to change SQL Identifiers.

Am I missing a permission? I am an Admin. I don’t see this error covered in the config migration Best Practice Guide.

As a follow up to my last question, I contacted support and was given permissions to update warehouse names on Test and Prod then all worked well.