Skip to main content
Question

Moving projects

• 11 July 2024
  • 4 replies

Dear all 

This is Negin from Biomedical Center in Munich : )

We are a big group with a lot of project folders, the idea would be to clean-up the project list and to move the project that are finished to 1 project folder. 

I tried drag and drop which did not work, the error was “Moving project is not currently permitted”.

That would be great if someone could tell me how to do this 

P.S. I am one of the admins. 

Thank you 

4 replies

Hi Negin, I think you need to do this a bit manually.

Here’s what I’d do:

1. Create your new Project, e.g. “Completed projects”
  2. Create a folder within this project for each completed project
  3. Navigate to your actual projects folder, select every entity contained within, and then use “Move to folder” to move them to the newly created folder.
  4. Repeat for each project.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 2

Hi @NeginPirhadi !! Welcome to Benchling Community!

I’d also recommend what @BenchlingTinker recommended above. Moving Project isn’t permitted as projects could have different permission structures.
Drag and drop function is more for moving contents like entries into a folder.

Hi All,

I have a related question. I did what @BenchlingTinker suggests above, but when I try to archive the now empty Project, I get this error:

Cannot archive project with associated unarchived inventory items

I checked the inventory items and they all show the new folder as the related project.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Hi @nicole_p,

Unfortunately, I think that there may still be some unarchived containers that are associated with the project in some way, and you’ll have to find and move those specific containers before archiving the container.

I am uncertain if you can filter for all of the containers based on project through the UI (would be nice product feature though).